If you’re a fan of Whataburger, you’re in luck! The fast food chain has locations all over the United States, so you’re never too far from a delicious burger, fries, and shake. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the history of Whataburger and how the company has grown over the years, as well as provide an overview of the current number of Whataburger locations in the United States.
A Brief History of Whataburger
Whataburger was founded in Corpus Christi, Texas in 1950 by Harmon Dobson, who wanted to create a burger so big that it would take two hands to hold. Dobson’s vision came to life with the Whataburger, a five-inch burger served on a toasted bun with all the fixings. The company quickly gained a loyal following in Texas and beyond, and today, Whataburger is a beloved fast food chain with locations throughout the southern United States.
In the early 2000s, Whataburger expanded beyond the southern United States and opened its first location in Arizona. Today, the company has locations in 10 states, including Texas, Arizona, Arkansas, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, and Oklahoma.
Current Number of Whataburger Locations
So, how many Whataburger locations are there currently? As of 2021, there are over 800 Whataburger locations in the United States. The majority of these locations are in Texas, which is home to over 600 Whataburger restaurants. Other states with a significant number of Whataburger locations include Arizona, Florida, and Oklahoma.
In addition to traditional Whataburger restaurants, the company also has a number of smaller-format locations, including drive-thru only restaurants, as well as locations inside convenience stores and airports. These smaller-format locations allow Whataburger to reach customers in a variety of settings, including on-the-go and in more densely populated areas.
Whataburger Menu and Specialties
In addition to the classic Whataburger, the menu at Whataburger includes a variety of burgers, sandwiches, salads, and sides, as well as breakfast items, shakes, and other desserts. Some of the standout items on the Whataburger menu include:
- The Whataburger: The original five-inch burger that started it all, made with 100% pure American beef, cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickles, diced onions, and mustard on a toasted bun.
- The Whataburger Jr.: A smaller version of the classic Whataburger, perfect for those who want a tasty burger without the extra size.
- The Monterey Melt: A grilled sandwich with melted Monterey Jack cheese, grilled onions, and jalapenos, served on Texas toast.
- The Whatacatch: A crispy fish sandwich made with 100% wild-caught North American pollock, topped with lettuce, tomato, and tartar sauce, served on a toasted bun.
- The Whatachick’n Sandwich: A crispy or grilled chicken sandwich made with 100% all-natural, whole breast chicken, served with lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise on a toasted bun.
In addition to these menu items, Whataburger also offers a variety of sides, including fries, onion rings, and apple slices, as well as a variety of shakes and other desserts.
Whataburger is a beloved fast food chain with over 800 locations in the United States. From its humble beginnings in Corpus Christi, Texas, the company has grown to become a mainstay in the southern United States and beyond, offering a menu of classic burgers, sandwiches, and sides, as well as breakfast items, shakes, and other desserts. Whether you’re a fan of the classic Whataburger or looking to try something new, there’s something for everyone at Whataburger. So next time you’re craving a delicious burger and fries, be sure to stop by your local Whataburger and enjoy a taste of Texas!